Home Learning Ideas and websites for Year 2
- Read and discuss a range of books. Questions: What has happened so far? What do you predict might happen next? Why did the character say / do that?
- Practise weekly spellings and use in dictated sentences. Can also go over tricky words and past spelling words. Spelling Contract activities.
- Writing - this could be a story, instructions, letter, diary, non-chronological report, character & setting descriptions. Challenge yourself to include adjectives, adverbs, questions, commands, exclamation sentences (How beautiful it was!) You could plan these elements first to help.
- Pobble365.com – look at the picture and say what you see/think is happening. What questions would you like to know about the picture? Then read the story starter together and try some of the suggested ideas.
- Practise 2x 3x, 5x and 10x. Youtube songs….any Jack Hartman (he has made hundreds!) Current year 2 3x table song that we love is called: 3 Times Tables - Have Fun Learning! (link below)
- Use Hit the Button (https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button) to practise rapid addition and subtraction.
- Fractions - finding 1/2, 1/4, 2/4, 3/4, 1/3 of a shape or quantity of numbers.
- Play shops - can you choose the correct coins to pay for different items.
- Label a blank map or create of a map of the UK with countries, capital cities and surrounding seas.
- Label a blank map of the world with continents and oceans. Where are the North and South Pole & the Equator? Where are the hot and cold areas of the world?
- Choose a continent to research.
- Plant some seeds and observe how they grow into mature plants.
- Explore the BBC KS1 website for lots of interesting and educational clips and games. https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/levels/z3g4d2p
- Lots of other games on the Topmarks website: https://www.topmarks.co.uk/